Thursday, March 18, 2010

More Questions

One thing I noticed in this last reading is Pip easily has sympathy for the fact that Abel Magwitch was betrayed by Compeyson. Why does Pip decide that he actually cares for someone other than himself for once? This seems very out of context from where the story has been going so far. I think Pip might want to help Abel have revenge on Compeyson only to further Miss Havisham's opinion of him because he would be avenging Compeyson's betrayal of Miss Havisham as well.
Please help me with this one, tell me if you agree with me or if you have any other opinions to add.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I think that you are right. Pip might be trying to avenge Compeyson to help him, at the same time as trying to help out Miss Havisham. This will probably change Havisham's opinion on Pip, and her opinion over Estella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, but I also want to believe that Pip is not just doing this to better his life. I think Pip is sympathetic because of what Magwitch has done for him.

    ReplyDelete