Friday, April 30, 2010

Culture Shock

When I read this blog assignment surprisingly I had no idea of any "solid" example in modern life referring to Romeo and Juliet. I mean i could write about some Taylor Swift song but I probably wouldn't be able to live with myself after doing that (no offense to any fans of hers). However, there's a song by the Arctic Monkeys that I've listened to and loved for years now, and just today realized it would fall into this category that fits with the blog. I googled "songs that allude to Romeo and Juliet" (having no ideas in mind) and I found this song and realized there was one line that alludes to Romeo and Juliet.
The line of the song in "I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor" by the Arctic Monkeys goes as follows:

Oh, there ain't no love no, Montague's or Capulet's
Just bangin' tunes in DJ sets
And dirty dance floors, dreams of naughtiness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oviw6QZepVc&feature=related

In this song I feel like they are just talking about the boring town that they live in, and there isn't any sort of romance or fun. It's a pretty awesome song you should click the link above to listen.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting selection of song, it seemed that it could apply to Romeo and Juliet well.

    ReplyDelete